Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Morro Bay paddle June16, 2008

Location: Morro Bay
Route: From Baywood Pier, Los Osos to sand spit
Time: 4:30 PM-5:30 PM
Tide: 2.5 ft and rising to 3.0 at 5:30
Temp: 62 F, sunny-partly cloudy
Wind: 10-15 from the northwest
Birds: Morgansers, grebes, a few pelicans
Other: one seal and dozens of crabs
Notes: A quick paddle just to get out on the water. Walked my boat down on the cart and decided to leave from Baywood Pier, which is just a bit closer. Nursing a bad back. Took a heading NW into the wind, which was blowing just hard enough for a few white caps and made for tight wind waves. Twenty minutes straight out to the sand spit. Cruised up and down the spit for another twenty or so minutes, hanging along the reeds and just off shore. Spent a few minutes watching the crabs do their crab-dance in the shallows. At one point, my presence caused a crab traffic jam that was comprised of dozens of crabs who exited in a tight group that resembled a highway full of cars. They followed a quick route and remained bunched together that reminded me of a flock of birds that rapidly changes direction but remains a group. Crabs may not be as solitary as I presumed (I obviously know nothing about crabs).
With the wind at my back, I paddled and paddle-sailed back to the pier in 10-15 minutes.

No comments: